Monday, March 10, 2014

Mindful Meditation and Metaphor


Walking the labyrinth has always been a special treasure for me.  Usually I am finding myself doing so at a retreat or workshop or special event.  One time I walked the labyrinth at a friend’s farm.  She had gathered the rocks around her property and carefully laid out the spiral path as another form of mindful meditation. 

At silent retreat I walked the path a couple of times, once with a few others, once alone.  I have walked the path with as many as 50 others. Each time the experience unfolds as metaphor for life itself.

Entering the labyrinth, I walk, one foot in front of the other along the narrow path, watching the steps I take. Touching fingers with mudra, touching thumb to each finger-index, middle, ring and pinky, sniffing the breath in through my nose, silently chanting mantra, Sa-Ta-Na-Ma with each sniff.  Inhale, exhale. Walking meditation.

I lift my eyes to see what is in front on me, path twisting back upon itself, sometimes in a straight away, other times quick hairpin turns. Just when I think I have figured it out, change. Moving inward toward the center, my eyes lower, taking the next step. Inhale-sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff. Exhale-sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff.  Silent mantra….

Sometimes waiting in the turn, making space, another passes by in the opposite direction.  Now walking next to another on a separate path. I make a quick turn. They continue forward. We meet again walking side by side. Gone.

I reach the center, pausing in each direction, considering….  Others join, together, yet separate. Each deciding when to continue the journey outward along that same path. I begin again, retracing my footsteps. On the straightaway, turning back upon itself, familiar. Familiar.

Have I been here before?  

Eyes downward, that last step. Eyes up, head lifted. I am somehow amazed and slightly saddened to be out.  A smile crosses my lips, my heart full.  Journey finished…for now.

2 comments: