Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Rolling Stones and My Last Day in Rome

Today the Rolling Stones play Circus Maximus to 70,000 Romans and countrymen.  
 I spend my last day in Rome at the Porte Portese market not buying much at all.  Just browsing stall after stall of used and new clothing, fake leather purses and cheap shoes. Toward the end I find the more interesting antique section, but it is time for them to pack up.  I did buy some vintage hand embroidered Italian table clothes.


I make my way into the working class become chic neighborhood of Trastevere to find my ultimate pizza.  Believe it or not, I have not sat down to have a pie yet.  I have read in my Rick Steve’s pocket guide that there is a really great wood fired spot called Dar Poeta, so I make my way and get lost, backtrack and take a different turn.  I turn on the street that I think it is on and then the numbers end.  I backtrack and then make a different turn and the numbers are getting bigger, I round the next turn and hear voices and see packed outdoor tables and voila!. I am here.

I sit next to, but actually at the same table (really just two tables next to each other) with a 20 something couple from Canada.  They are finishing their meal and I ask if the food was good and they smile and say “Great!”  I get their advice because it all looks so good.  I go for a pie with tomatoes sauce, olives, capers, anchovies and oregano.  It does not come with melted cheese, but add for one Euro the buffalo mozzarella.   Score.


It makes its way to my table in no time and I devour the whole thing.  Crispy and flavorful, just as it should be in Rome.  I am satisfied. 
Inside the Pantheon, looking up.
Returning to the streets, I make my way to visit the Pantheon, one more time.  My last day in Rome is fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment